Sunday, September 25, 2011

Intro To My Food Diary

Dear Food Diary,

This weekend I did it. I finally made Chilorio. Can you believe it? I’ve been wanting to try this Mexican pork recipe out all summer, just didn’t have the time. Well, actually it didn’t take as long to cook as I thought. 

Remember last the last time I wrote about this recipe? I told you it was a dish of pork that is slow-simmered orange juice and then shredded and fried in a chile sauce. I just knew it was going to be good.

And you know what I did? After I pureed all of the chile sauce, but before I had to cook it, I snuck a taste. Yep, I sure did. I dropped a soup ladle in the blender and slurped it up. It was so fresh and yummy. I knew once I swallowed that flavorsome sap, I would be finding other uses for it..such as marinating chicken.

You should have smelled it. The aroma in the house was so good, that I opened the windows so that the neighborhood could smell it too. To top off the meal, I made a black beans & rice dish, which is actually Cuban. It was a delectable dinner that we enjoyed together and had enough for Sunday leftovers.

Well, gotta go finishing watching the Color Purple..she’s about to meet her children.

xoxo,
Dawn
-----------

Chilorio
Recipe adapted from Pati Jinich
Serves 8

3 lbs. Boneless Pork (butt, shoulder or loin with some fat) cut into 2" chunks
1 ¼ C. Fresh Orange Juice
1 ¼ C. Water
1 tsp. Kosher Salt
5 Dried Ancho Chiles (or Pasillas), tops and seeds removed
1 ½ C. of the chile soaking liquid (see below)
1/2 cup white onion, roughly chopped
5 Garlic cloves, peeled
½ C. Fresh Parsley Leaves
1 tsp. Dried Oregano
¼ tsp. Ground Cumin
¼ tsp. Ground Black Pepper
2/3 C. Cider Vinegar or Distilled White Vinegar
3 Tbl. Corn Oil
¼ tsp. Kosher Salt or more to taste
Flour Tortillas, warmed, optional




To Prepare
Place rinsed meat chunks in an extended heavy pot.  Barely cover with the orange juice and water, add a teaspoon of salt and set over high heat.  Once it comes to a boil, bring the heat down to medium and let is simmer for about 40 to 45 minutes, or until most of the liquid has cooked off and the meat is thoroughly cooked, and has rendered most of its fat. (I covered mine for awhile)



Meanwhile, remove the stems from the chiles, make a slit down their sides and remove their seeds and veins.  Place them in a bowl, cover them with 2 cups of boiling hot water, and let them sit and rehydrate for about 15-20 minutes. 


Place the chiles and 1 ½ cups of their soaking liquid in the blender along with the onion, garlic, parsley, oregano, cumin, black pepper, vinegar, and puree until smooth.



Once the meat is ready, place it in a bowl along with any remaining cooking broth.  Once it is cool enough to handle, shred it with your hands or using two forks.

In the same pot, heat oil over medium heat.  Pour in the chile sauce and let it season and simmer for 4 to 5 minutes.  Toss in the shredded meat along with any of its remaining cooking broth.  Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon salt and let it cook, stirring often, until the meat has absorbed most of the chile sauce, which will have thickened, seasoned and changed color to a much darker tone.  It will take about 20-25 minutes.  Taste for salt and add more if need be.




Serve with warmed flour tortillas on the side.  If you wish, spoon chilorio on tortillas and roll them into burritas or burras.  They are wonderful with refried beans and avocado or guacamole on the side as well.

Chilorio Wraps

-----------
Rice Cooked in Black Beans

Recipe by Lourdes Castro

Yield: Serves 8 to 10

4 whole Garlic cloves, peeled
2 ½ tsp. Kosher Salt, divided
¼  lb. Bacon, chopped (about 6 strips)
2 Tbl. Olive Oil
1 C. Onion, finely chopped
¾ C. Green Pepper, seeded and finely chopped
1 Bay Leaf
¼ tsp. Ground Cumin
½ tsp. Dried Oregano
1 ½ C. Long-Grain White Rice, I used Basmati Rice
2 - 15 ½ oz. cans Black Beans, not drained
1 ¾ C. Water
1 Tbl. Red Wine Vinegar



Directions:

Put the garlic on a cutting board and sprinkle 1 teaspoon of salt over the cloves, let it sit for a few minutes, and mince it into a paste with a knife. Set aside.

Place the bacon and olive oil in a large pot and set it over medium-high heat. Sauté the bacon until it renders its fat and turns a golden brown color, about 6 minutes. Move the bacon around as it's cooking to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
 


Add the onion, green pepper, and garlic paste to the bacon and sauté until the vegetables are limp and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the remaining 1 ½  teaspoons of salt, the bay leaf, cumin, oregano, and rice and stir for 1 minute until well mixed and all the rice is coated in oil. 


Add the beans and their liquid, along with the water and vinegar, to the pot. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook for about for *35 to 40 minutes, or until all the water has been absorbed by the rice. Allow the covered pot to sit off the heat for 5 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork and serve. 


*Using the basmati rice, the cooking time for me was about  20-25 minutes. I’d say monitor your cooking time.


  



Accompanied with some seasoned avocado and pickled carrots, this made a great meal.




Hasta la próxima vez

This can also be viewed on Fusion Fridays with Jane Deere

3 comments:

  1. The description on this and the pictures have really got my interest. I thought that I was aware of all the Mexican dishes out there but the Chilorio is new. I have saved the recipe-looks delicious. Also, great paring-black beans and rice sometimes make up my lunch, but will do wonderfully as a side! Glad you posted this-Buzz Buzz

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a delicious recipe, this looks amazing and something I've never tried before! Love your blog and so glad to be a new follower! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh. My. Goodness! I was in Arizona last year at a FABULOUS Mexican restaurant and this was their signature dish! I kept waxing poetic to everyone about this amazing pork cooked in oranges and - for the life of me - I couldn't put a name to it! Thank you, thank you a THOUSAND thank you's! I finally have a name (and a recipe) for this! I am SO bookmaking this!

    ReplyDelete