Sunday, December 11, 2011

Cake in a Jar

How’s your holiday season going? Did you finish shopping? For me, shopping has not gone so well, unless you consider on-line cookie orders for the owners of the Kennel that Sunshine visits.

In our house, we’ve been so busy with work that it took a week for me to put up the tree. My husband had brought up the tubs of decorations and tree from the basement, the Sunday after Thanksgiving. I managed to get the tree partially started the following Friday. By the next Sunday, it was decorated but not nearly with all of the ornaments that I typically have on there. 

Sunshine's waiting for Santa

When I’m stressed, I like to bake because that voice in my mind finally shuts up for a while. I can’t hear any of it saying ‘you have to finish this, and a new file came in that you need to look at, and did you finish loading this one that came in yesterday?’ I hate that voice sometimes.

I did manage to make some goodies in a jar (and these Apple Cider Brownies). A recipe with Hot Chocolate mix that seemed so simple, actually turned into flop the 1st time around. It didn’t taste bad at all, it was quite good. It was the fact that I was yapping on the phone while mixing the batter and forgot to add in one of the wet ingredients. I added it after the batter was mixed and boy did it make a mess when it baked. On the  second try, I split the batter into 2 batches and used a different wet ingredient in each. Totally yummy.

Try out this recipe for cake in a jar. The original calls for room temperature Coffee, (wow what a buzz that was). In the 2nd batches, I used Kahlua in one and Bailey’s Irish Cream in the other, both were so good. I’d bet that Amaretto Cream Liquor would taste great in here or using a flavored coffee. The recipe states that it will yield Eight 8-ounce cakes but I actually filled ten jars.

If I don’t blog with you before then (but I will definitely try), Have a safe & Happy Holiday and if you have any leftovers, send them our way…Honey Bunches of Oats has been on the dinner menu a few times now and my husband hates leftovers.


Hot Chocolate Cake in a Jar
Brought to you by Tasting Table
Yield: Eight 8-ounce cakes


1¾ cups all-purpose flour
2 cups granulated sugar
½ cup Dutch-process cocoa powder, plus more for dusting
¼ cup hot-chocolate mix
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt

1 cup buttermilk
2 eggs
1¼ teaspoons vanilla extract
½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup Coffee, at room temperature (try Kahlua, Bailey’s Irish Cream or flavored coffee)

2 cups whipped cream
More cocoa for dusting



Preheat the oven to 300°. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, hot-chocolate mix, baking soda, baking powder and salt.

2 batches, 2 different flavors

 In a large bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, vanilla extract, olive oil and liquor or coffee.

Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet, a third at a time, whisking to incorporate between each addition.

Arrange eight 8-ounce Mason jars on a sheet tray and carefully pour ½ cup batter into each jar. 



Place the tray in the oven and bake the cakes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 35 to 45 minutes. 



Remove from the oven. Top each cake with the whipped cream and dust with cocoa powder. Serve warm.






It’s like a warm & creamy Hot Toddy.


4 comments:

  1. Oooh, YUMMY! You had me at cake in a jar, but when you said it was like a warm & creamy hot toddy? *sigh*

    I understand how it can be hectic this season. I shop all year long, my gifts were sent out the day after Thanksgiving. I have a wee bit of wrapping to do, but shopping's been done for a while!

    ....but the tree isn't up yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey - Business Idea Ann....We could become Tree Trimmers. So all of those people that don't have a chance to put up their tree will hire us to do it. And then, we'll become so popular with our business that we'll hire extra help to go to our houses to put up our own trees. =)~

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really cute and inventive way of serving up a cake. A perfect little reward after a hard day shopping. It is hectic this time of year although in a good way. Merry Christmas to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete