Saturday, June 16, 2012

Always Try Something New


I love sandwiches.



More than that, I love tacos. 



Actually, they’re virtually the same when you think about it. Both have these insides that are full of yummy goodness of all sorts, compacted to fit perfectly (or not) in your mouth. And while shoving this in your mouth, something will fall to the plate, waiting for you to pick it up with your fingers to finish it off.



What I also love and will eat with my fingers is pickled red onions. Yes, I said pickled red onions. The tarty & sweet taste from these pink beauties, completely changes a taco or sandwich. 



When I found a taco recipe that basically blackens a spicy flavored chicken, topped with pickled red onions, I knew that it would be on my dinner plate that night.  




Cumin and Ancho Chicken
Adapted by Bon App├ętit  
Serves 6

2 lbs. Skinless, Boneless Chicken Thighs
3 Tbl. Ancho Chile Powder
3 Tbl. Ground Cumin
1 tsp. Garlic Powder
2 tsp. Kosher Salt plus more
Vegetable oil (for frying)

Toss chicken with ancho chile powder, cumin, garlic powder and 2 teaspoons salt in a large bowl to coat. Cover and chill for 2 hours.
Over medium-high heat, coat a large skillet with a thin layer of oil. Working in batches,(I did 2 batches) place thighs in skillet in a single layer (do not crowd). Cover and cook until a crust forms, about 5-7 minutes. Turn; cook, uncovered, until thighs are just cooked through, 3-5 minutes longer. Transfer to a platter; let rest for 5 minutes.
Cut chicken into 1/2" cubes. Transfer with any accumulated juices to a medium bowl.
Taste a piece to determine if it needs to be seasoned with more salt.
Serve on tortillas with cilantro, Queso Fresco cheese and pickled red onions.

Pickled Red Onions

½ C. Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Tbl. Sugar
1 ½ tsp. Kosher Salt
1 Red Onion, thinly sliced

Place first 3 ingredients in a jar and shake around to dissolve sugar & salt.
Add the red onions and shake it up like Charo does with her booty.
Allow to sit for 1 hour at room temperature, to wilt and flavor the onions.




With colors flowing outside of the lines, this was a beautiful dinner.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness my mouth is watering! Looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds right up my street! I've not had pickled red onions before...jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks irresistible!!! And perfect for a hot summer's dinner!

    ReplyDelete